Sunday, August 06, 2006

THE SECOND YEAR ANNIVERSARY.



I have a little book where I make my personal observations and comments about the vicissitudes of life. Page 35 reads as follows:

I know of a woman whose faith in God is unshakeable
and undying. With eyes closed, she pours out her
heart every minute of the day, offering prayers on
behalf of her kith and kin. She once offered the
safety of her room to a total stranger who was
fleeing from the pigs. Asked if she had not allowed
herself to be hoodwinked by sentimental platitudes
into granting shelter to a man who could possibly
come back under the cover of darkness to rob her,
she replied with all the conviction she could muster
that that man would never dream of doing such a thing.
That singular act of faith by my mother is engraved
on the wall in the chapel of the cathedral of my heart.

Little did I know when I was making the entry on my mother that the essence which identified itself as Erhunmwun Omoghariagbon Agho, nee Obamwonyi, would be passing into nirvana seven months later, precisely on August 6, 2004, in conformity with the sentence passed on all men and women at birth. And this is one occurrence for which I acknowledge no cause but the immutable laws of nature. Inasmuch as fate has decreed that nothing maintains the same condition forever, we all have a rendezvous with death. Adieu Mama. Requiescat in Pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Announce